Timeline – Museum

Establishment

8 February 1318

Establishment

The Brotherhood is being established. All of it’s the first members are the “clerici and scolares” members of the then dominant Roman Catholic clergy.

Read more

First processon for Our Lady

8 February 1367

First processon for Our Lady

First procession to honour Our Lady in ‘s-Hertogenbosch. The procession was an initiative of the Fraternity. The fraternity also took part in organising this first procession.

Read more

Outside members can join the Fraternity

8 February 1371

Outside members can join the Fraternity, including women. They do not have to take an oath. There is a large influx through the Mary devotion and by being able to earn indulgences. Every member receives…

Read more

Donation

8 February 1483

Donation

Joined Ghisbertus van der Poorten donates his house to the Brotherhood on the Hinthamerstraat (now no. 94).

Read more

Jheronimus Bosch

8 February 1487

Jheronimus Bosch

The famous painter Jeroen Bosch is sworn member of the Brotherhood.

Read more

New chapel being dedicated

19 September 1494

New chapel being dedicated

The bishop of Liège dedicates the new chapel of the Brotherhood (the current Sacrament chapel in St. John’s Cathedral). The chapel was built by the famous architect Alart du Hamel and his brother-in-law Jan Heyns,…

Read more

15.000 candles

28 August 1500

15.000 candles

During this period members of the fraternity received up to 15.000 candles annually.

Read more

William of Orange

23 March 1556

William of Orange

Willem van Oranje joins the Illustre Lieve Vrouwe Broederschap.

Read more

Beeldenstorm (Iconoclastic Fury)

4 October 1566

Beeldenstorm (Iconoclastic Fury)

At the first iconoclastic in August, the fraternity chapel does not suffer any damage. A second iconic storm takes place in October. The chapel was now also destroyed. One of the iconoclasts was former singer…

Read more

Siege of ‘s-Hertogenbosch

11 April 1629

Siege of ‘s-Hertogenbosch

’s-Hertogenbosch is captured by Frederik Hendrik, de youngest son of William of Orange.

Read more

Transformation Broederschap

8 February 1642

Transformation of the FRaternity. From now on, the fraternity will consist of 18 Catholic and 18 Reformed sworn members. The pursuing unity and friendship between Christians will be it’s main goal from then on until…

Read more

Chapel being relinquished

21 July 1701

Chapel being relinquished

The Chapel of the Brotherhood in the Sint Jans Cathedral is relinquished, and is nowadays the sacred sacrament chapel. ( http://www.sint-jan.nl )

Read more

Honorary title Willem ll

30 August 1818

Honorary title Willem ll

Crown Prince Willem, the later King William II is invited to re-establish ties with brotherhood and Oranjehuis. He accepts the honorary title of Zwanenbroeder.

Read more

A new home

24 March 1846

A new home

The new Zwanenbroedershuis is built in neo-Gothic style by the architect Laffertee on the same historical site that was donated in 1483 by Ghisbertus van der Poorten.

Read more

Great room

11 October 1870

Great room

The great room is added to the house of the FRaternity

Read more

Origin of the swan on the roof

14 January 1950

Origin of the swan on the roof

The swan on the roof, which adorns the building at the front, was manufactured in the early fifties by the Bossche goldsmith Guillaume Henrie Hubert Cordang.

Read more

New statues

1 April 1962

New statues

On the front of the brotherhood house, statues are placed by Marius van Beek. Statues are Gerardus van Uden, founder, Ghisbertus van der Poorten donor of the house, swan brothers Floris van Egmond and Willem…

Read more

650th anniversary

8 February 1968

The Fraternity celebrates its 650th anniversary. A first ecumenical service is preceded by bishop mgr. dr.s Bluyssen and Dominee ds. N.v.d. Akker.

Read more

800th anniversary of ‘s-Hertogenbosch

21 November 1985

800th anniversary of ‘s-Hertogenbosch

On the occasion of the 800th anniversary of the city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch, the Fraternity really stands out for the first time. A booklet is published in which the concise history of the Fraternity is shown….

Read more

Register domain for website

13 May 2003

Register domain for website

On the 13th of may the Broederschap registerde the domain for its with website with STICHTING INTERNET DOMEINREGISTRATIE NEDERLAND. Later that year the first website was launched of which a screenshot is shown.

Read more

Awarded official status as a museum

8 February 2005

The Zwanenbroedershuis acquires the status of museum.

Read more

Jheronimus Bosch 500 years a sworn member

29 June 2016

Jheronimus Bosch 500 years a sworn member

This year was dominated by the fact that Jeroen Bosch died 500 years ago. The Fraternity contributed to the large exhibition on Hieronymus Bosch in het Noord-Brabants Museum. There were many visitors to the Zwanenbroedershuis…

Read more

700th anniversary Broederschap

8 February 2017

700th anniversary Broederschap

On 8 February 2018 it is 700 years ago that the Illustre Lieve Vrouwe Broederschap was founded. This will be commemorated with various activities during this year.

Read more

Opening jubilee year

16 February 2018

Opening jubilee year

The jubilee year officially started on Friday 16 February. An ecumenical celebration was started in St. John’s Cathedral in the presence of His Majesty King Willem-Alexander. After the celebration the king opened the exhibition Believe…

Read more

X

Wachtwoord vergeten?

Word lid

Nieuw wachtwoord aanvragen
Geef je e-mail adres in. Een nieuw wachtwoord wordt naar je mailbox gestuurd.